Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Johnny

After I download a PDF-File (~10MB) I open it in PlugPDFDocumentVC. This takes quite a time. Is there a way to speed this up?
    I’ve also evaluated other frameworks and yours has the biggest memory-footprint – Are you caching all the Pages initially before showing the PDF? Could this be the reason for the slow opening?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    Johnny

#7251 Reply

Dr. Plug

Hi Johnny

Could you let me know your version of PlugPDF?
    Actually if your version isn’t later 2.5.80, there is a UpdateCheck function.
    this function is releated with Google Ananlytics.
    So if your device is connected with internet, it takes sometime.
    But you can turn off that function using

in AppDelegate.m after PlugPDFInit();

and about your question ( Caching a page)
    Yes right, PlugPDF caches three page (front , current, next)
    So if your PDF size is big, it will takes some time.

Best Regards,
    Dr.Plug

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Dr. Plug.
    #7266 Reply

Johnny

I got “PlugPDF-Version: 2.5.80.4 (7185721.dirty)”

I tried with a lokal stored PDF -> opening times are much better, so that is fine.

Another Performance issue I found:

It’s not possible to flip fast through the document. When I flip over pages in forward direction it feels a bit slow – like an input-lag. Flipping pages backwards is even slower. It’s not working fluid. Is there a way to speed this up? The size of my PDFs seems not to be the problem. I testet PDFs from 5MB to 25MB – all of them show the same behaviour.

Best regards,
    Christian

#7311 Reply

Dr. Plug

Hi Johnny

I’m so sorry for late answering.
    But Unfortunately, when using a PageFlipEffect , more calculation is needed than normal mode.
    So it is inevitable that PageFlipEffect is little bit slower than normal mode when page is flip over.

Best Regards,
    Dr.Plug

#7591 Reply

Johnny

Hi Dr. Plug,

the PageFlipEffect is not the problem. I did not use it. Even when it is disabled going fast through a PDF feels slow. Especially in backwards direction (from the end of the pdf to the beginning). PlugPDF seems to lack Multithreading and doing a lot of the operations on the main thread? Even in the iOS-Simulator a can bring my CPU to 100% only by switching Pages

In the mean-time I also tried PSPDFKit and PDFTouch. Both are very fast and have a small Memory- and CPU-Footprint. Have you compared your Frameworks Performance against them? I only want to rule out that the problem is not related to your framework.

PS: we ca discuss further via eMail, my address will be in the other thread

Best regards,
    Christian

#7763 Reply

Dr. Plug

Hi Johnny

Could you give us a PDF file that has a problem?
    if you give us a PDF file you have, We’ll try to test.
    and if there is a problem in our SDK, we’ll try to fix them.

Best Regards,
    Dr.Plug

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: [iOS] Speed up Opening Time
Your information: